What You Need to Know about Mold to Stay Safe in Your House

What You Need to Know about Mold to Stay Safe in Your House

Mold is a sneaky problem that grows fast and can cause millions of dollars of damage to homes and belongings. It helps to understand more of this nemesis, especially if you have recently experienced water damage in your Ottawa home. Within 72 hours, these fungal spores will expand and feast on your home and belongings, and may be hiding away in dark places you do not see. It can hamper your health with mild to severe symptoms, and if left alone, it can cause your house to become uninhabitable. The professionals at Go Pro Restoration Inc have the experience to assess the state of damage and offer mold remediation options.

Is mold dangerous? Is it safe to stay in the house?

Mold can be dangerous to humans, especially those with compromised immune systems. Experts estimate there may be more than 300,000 different types of mold and they affect people differently. Some suffer from light symptoms like a stuffy nose, and others have more intense reactions. The most toxic type is black mold. Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from spores interfere with our respiratory and nervous systems. If you have evidence of mold in your property, avoid disturbing the area and call the mold remediation professionals in Ottawa at Go Pro Restoration Inc. right away to get it looked at.

What causes mold to form?

Mold spores are everywhere. They are both indoors and outdoors and travel through the air, on clothing, shoes, and pets. Spores grow into mold when they are exposed to water through a leaking or busted pipe, flooding, or areas with poor air circulation, like bathrooms. As they form colonies, it can spread throughout your home causing damage to your property and health. Diminish the effects of this fungus by calling in the experts in mold remediation.

Can I clean mold myself with bleach?

Bleach will not kill mold on porous surfaces, like wood or drywall, because mold goes deep into the pores. You can wipe it away and think you have won the battle only to see it resurface in a few days. To alleviate mold and minimize its effect on your health, you need to call professionals and have it removed completely from the home.

Can mold be cleaned instead of removing the affected material?

The short answer is that it depends. If the affected material is a hard, non-porous material, then it may be possible to clean the item instead of removing it. It is a little tricky with porous structural items like drywall and wood or contents like upholstered furniture and rugs. These items soak up water. Mold can start growing within 72 hours under the right conditions. At the first signs of mold, it is vital to your health and your belongings to call in the experts for mold removal in your Ottawa home.

Can you determine the full extent of mold damage without opening the walls or ceiling?

Finding the source and the full extent of mold damage does require additional investigation, though water damage leaves some obvious signs. Some of them are stains on walls and ceilings, flaking or peeling paint, soft or swollen drywall, musty smell, and warped walls. Each case indicates there is leaking water somewhere. Stains are a clear sign that there is a plumbing issue. Anytime you see evidence of water damage, it is critical to call in a professional for fast help and to prevent mold growth.

Can you tell me how long mold has been there?

There is not a clear-cut way to tell exactly how old a patch of mold is because it can grow within such a short amount of time after exposure to moisture. If you know of an exact date of a water damage event, that helps. However, it is possible to give estimates based on the extent of damage surrounding the mold. For example, rotting wood or oxidation or corrosion of a water pipe is indicative of a leak extending over a lengthy period.

What type of mold is more common?

What type of mold is more common?

Common indoor molds include alternaria, aspergillus, cladosporium, and penicillium. Alternaria is often found in damp areas like showers or under leaking sinks. Aspergillus will grow on dust, powdery food items, and building materials. Cladosporium appears on fabrics and wood surfaces in both cool or warm areas, and penicillium is often blue or green and grows on water damaged items. Then there is black mold, a nasty toxin, that can cause severe health problems, even death.

Is mold affecting my health? Is it bad for my asthma? What are the health symptoms of mold in my home?

Some people are sensitive to molds and can experience symptoms such as a stuffy nose, wheezing, red or itchy eyes, or itchy skin. Those with asthma may suffer more intense reactions like fever and shortness of breath. Other conditions may be triggered by mold exposure, including hypersensitivity pneumonitis, bronchitis, and allergic fungal sinusitis. Factors that affect the likelihood of developing health problems include the individual’s immunity and amount of mold present in the home.

What is the difference between mold and mildew?

Both are fungi and love damp places. Mildew is a specific type of mold that is usually white or gray, and dry. Mold can be green, red, blue, or black and looks slimy or fuzzy. Mildew has a milder, musty scent, while mold is much stronger and pungent as it produces and releases microbial volatile organic compounds – the stuff that causes people to become sick. Mildew stays on the surface of items while mold burrows its tentacles deep into porous materials.

How do you know if you’ve found mold?

There are some common signs indicating that you may have a mold problem. They include stale, musty odors that persist, warped or bulging walls, discoloured walls and ceilings, and growths on your walls. The growths may be fuzzy or slimy and come in a myriad of colours. In short, if you have odd looking growths on your walls or furnishings and a persistent smell, then it is probably mold-related.

Experienced Water Damage and Mold Remediation by Go Pro Restoration Inc.

At the first sight of water damage or fuzzy mold, call Go Pro Restoration. Our highly-trained technicians will use our advanced equipment to rid your home from the long-term effects that mold brings from water damage. Look to us for assistance with water damage restoration for your home or office throughout the Ottawa area. We’re available for emergency calls as well. Keep mold at bay when you call us.

For more information about our water damage restoration and mold remediation service in Ottawa, please call 613-221-9900 or fill out our online form and our team will get back to you soon.